The Development Assistant supports the efficient operation of administrative and donor relations/management functions of the Development, Marketing and Community Relations Department.
- Maintains integrity of donor database with accurate record keeping. Inputs all donor and prospect contact and gift information into donor database.
- Writes acknowledgement letters to donors/manages acknowledgement process; ensures timely acknowledgement of gifts. Ensures timely distribution of tribute cards for honorarium and memorial gifts.
- Coordinates donor and prospect mailings throughout year.
- Assists with all aspects of fundraising and community events, working with staff and board members, which may include the development of digital and print materials, vetting of vendors, setting up digital platforms, personal solicitation, and other related duties.
- Develops and disseminates reports for board members on specific campaigns.
- Assists with department’s grants, community outreach, website, and other projects, working with all members of department’s team.
- Directly supports department’s special projects in coordination with Director and/or Executive Director.
- Communicates with/responds to/builds relationships with donors, board members, and community members.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in nonprofit development and donor data management.
Essential Functions Competencies
- Responsible for accuracy and integrity of donor database.
- Maintains updated donor and prospect records.
- Responsible for entering all donor data from checks, correspondence, and online transactions and maintains the files electronically.
- Maintains all confidential donor notes and manages fundraising dashboard items.
- Processes donations and prepares gift acknowledgement letters and other correspondence in a timely manner.
- Provides support to various board committees and volunteers during fundraising campaigns and events.
- Coordinates mass mailings and smaller mailings including addressing, postage metering and packaging.
- Communicates with donors, board members and community members via phone, email, and in-person.
- Displays exceptional time-management and organizational skills for meeting deadlines and juggling multiple responsibilities.
- Technical Capacity
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Collaboration Skills
- Communication Proficiency
- Time Management
- Stress Management/Composure
Commitment to Core Value
- Adheres strictly to HIPAA requirements and all agency confidentiality guidelines.
- Establishes positive, balanced relationships with clients, as demonstrated by:
- treatment of individuals with respect and dignity and in an age and culturally appropriate manner
- a commitment towards the individual's rights and responsibilities
- establishment of clear boundaries that allow for productive interactions.
- Generates reports, including gift reports, donor histories, event reports for the Department and Board, and other reports as requested.
- Participates in ongoing training and professional development.
- Assumes other responsibilities that may arise within the job scope.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Associates degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Work Experience Requirement
- Minimum of 3 years’ consistent experience of nonprofit employment, preferably with focus on development.
- Experience working with a nonprofit donor database, i.e., Raisers Edge, e-Tapestry, Donor Perfect, etc.
- Experience interacting with donors and board level leadership.
- Experience with the development of donor correspondence and excellent writing skills.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs, with strong capabilities in Excel and Word functions and experienced in donor database programs.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to foster donor relationships.
- Donor-centered, data-driven, strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Leadership Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including proofreading.
- High attention to details
- Takes initiative and demonstrates follows through.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to demonstrate a professional demeanor whether speaking to others in person, over the phone, via email or in letters.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Monday - Friday – 9am – 5pm
Availability of some evening and weekends for special events or projects, as needed.